Brisbane Originals subject to politically motivated eviction

Despite successfully negotiating with the Greek community and allocating a suitable area so they can both share the park, and muturally arranging a smoking ceremony to welcome the Greek community at their upcoming Paniyiri Festival, the Mayor of Brisbane ordered an eviction.

The Mayor justifies his decision by announcing support from some handpicked Aboriginal people who are not involved with the Embassy and one or more Greek community members that were obviously not participating in the previous negotiations.

The Mayor justifies his decision by announcing support from some handpicked Aboriginal people who are not involved with the Embassy and one or more Greek community members that were obviously not participating in the previous negotiations.

During a stand-off for a little over a day, the Mayor with support from the Queensland government tried to intimidate the Embassy members by parking a substantial contingent of police vehicles adjacent to the Embassy. Around 200 members of the Queensland police force were then ordered to forcefully evict the sovereigns, along with their supporters, early in the morning of Wednesday 16th May, 2012.

Many of the members of the police force were not happy with carrying out the eviction as they have a very good relationships with Embassy members, as they work closely together on many community social programs.

Following the eviction, the legitimate sovereigns and their supporters gathered outside the fenced off Embassy at Cordelia Street, South Brisbane and around 100 of them marched to Parliament House to make a statement to the Premier, who ultimately is responsible for the eviction allowing and/or using hundreds of the state government's police force to evict Original Australians peacefully carrying out their traditional cultural activities.


The Fire keeps burning after eviction

Throughout the eviction up to 35 people were arrested for objecting to the state disallowing them asserting their sovereign rights, with the invaders pumped-up charges - recorded as creating a 'public nuisance'.

The sovereigns and their supporters were later released from the police watch house on bail after approximately 6 hours of politically motived detention.

They have now gathered at a site next to Jaggera Hall adjacent to Musgrave Park, 121 Cordelia street, South Brisbane.

There is support from a number of unions and the group still stands strong'

Bruce Skewes - Treaty Republic sub-editor

Police arrest 31 in Aboriginal protest

Sky News May 16, 2012

Around 200 police surrounded Musgrave Park at South Brisbane on Wednesday to remove tent embassy protesters who had refused to make way for this weekend's annual Greek festival.

The ugly eviction, which saw 31 people arrested, coincided with the official opening of parliament.

About 50 protesters marched to Parliament House to demand a meeting with Mr Newman about what they argued was an excessive show of force.

But the premier did not meet the group as official ceremonies filled his schedule.

As a 19-gun salute echoed across Brisbane River to announce Governor Penelope Wensley's arrival at parliament, the group had reached Brisbane's police watchhouse, where some of those arrested were refusing to agree to bail conditions.

Although Aboriginal sovereignty is a federal issue, and the police were called in by Brisbane City Council, the protesters' anger was directed at the state government.

Activist Sam Watson says ill feeling towards the new premier has been simmering for weeks.

'Campbell Newman has been using defamatory language for the past three weeks,' Mr Watson told AAP.

'We had one situation where a group of Aboriginal teenagers were involved in an incident with a stolen vehicle and, even before they'd been charged, he referred to them as grubs.

'And he referred to the Aboriginal protest site at Musgrave Park as a squatters' camp.

'He has shown no respect and no cultural sensitivity.'

Mr Watson, who was arrested during the 1971 campaign against the Springbok rugby tour, says the use of the police 'as a para-military group' harks back to the days of conservative premier Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen.

'We all remember the right to march disputes where again the state government used the Queensland police as paramilitary troops to assert somebody's political agenda,' he said.

A spokeswoman for Mr Newman said he had received no formal request to meet protesters.

He would defy calls to abandon the Aboriginal flag pin he has worn for several years.

Police Minister Jack Dempsey thanked protesters for being orderly and commended the police.

'Officers were faced with a very difficult situation but regardless carried out their duties thoroughly with sensitivity and fairness,' he said in a statement.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk does not believe the issue has harmed indigenous relations, as he met with elders last week.

The tent embassy was mostly 'out-of-towners', he said.

Police say their numbers were necessary to ensure the safety of officers, protesters and the community.