Original sovereigns' claim on Musgrave Park to be tested in court

Amy Remeikis Brisbane Times January 11, 2013

Indigenous people's claim over a section of Brisbane's Musgrave Park could soon be tested in court for the first time.

The area in question is a small parcel of land within the park, listed on Brisbane City Council documents as 'Area C' in a Deed of Grant in Trust (Dogit), which the Beattie government issued in 1999.

The small area, which is where the Sovereign Aboriginal Embassy was established in March last year, is listed as "for Aboriginal purposes and no other purpose".

However police, under the direction of the Brisbane City Council, moved in to evict the tent embassy and its supporters from the site in May.

Wayne 'Coco' Wharton, Bogaine Skuthorpe-Spearim and Hamish Chitts were among those arrested for contravening a formal police direction to leave the area and not return until council officers cleared away the tents and a 'sacred fire', which had been built on the land.

On Friday the trio returned to Brisbane Magistrates Court, buoyed by nearly 20 supporters, and brought Barrister Andrew Preston to argue their case; that because the piece of land they were removed from was designated as for aboriginal purposes only, it was unlawful for the police to remove them.

They did not submit their entire argument or all the documentation necessary to support it, nor were they required to.

Mr Preston told the court his clients still had to be shown to be right; their argument is reliant on the court's interpretation of the definition of a "public place" under the applicable legislation and how that related to the deed of grant in trust.

While the vast majority of Musgrave Park is listed as a public place, if Mr Wharton and his supporters are right the parcel of land they were removed from may not be available for use by general members of the public.
The trio are testing the definition of public as in the legislation used to arrest them. If the land is not public, then they did not commit an offence.

Mr Preston had flagged the argument during an application to modify his client's bail conditions until the matter could be decided either way. As it stands, the trio are not allowed to enter the park.

Magistrate John Costello, who had been expecting to rule on a simple court matter, told Mr Preston he would need time to consider the issue and adjourned the case to a date yet to be fixed.


Sovereign Embassy supporters to rally outside court

Media release Brisbane Aboriginal-Sovereign Embassy January 9, 2013

Supporters of the Brisbane Aboriginal Sovereign Embassy will gather outside the Brisbane Magistrates Court this Friday as three Embassy members again face court for defending the Sacred Fire.

Wayne Wharton, Boe Spearim and Hamish Chitts were arrested on December 12 when the Brisbane City Council and over 80 police forcibly evicted the Embassy and desecrated the Sacred Fire.

Since their arrest, the three have been excluded from the Embassy site by the draconian bail conditions placed upon them, which will be challenged in court this Friday. “It is outrageous that these draconian measures have prevented us from carrying out our cultural practice and our responsibility to our people” said Wayne Wharton.

Despite the eviction of the Embassy on December 12 and the continued harassment by police and Brisbane City Council, the Sacred Fire continues to be re-lit and Embassy meetings held each week.

“No matter what they have thrown at us, they are unable to stop this movement. They cannot put out the fire of sovereignty. This is a life and death battle. It is a fight for the lives of our people. The Embassy and the Sovereignty movement give our people strength. That is what the colonial authorities are afraid of and that is why we have a responsibility to keep fighting”.

All supporters of the Embassy have been called on to show their support at the Court – Friday 8:30am outside Brisbane Magistrates Court, corner of George and Turbot Streets.